We took a late family vacation to Yellowstone the week of Labor Day. It was just a few days, but good to get out of the normal routine, plus I found the quilt shop in West Yellowstone!
Once home, I started a Mystery Quilt which will be a more modern pattern, or at least have a lot of negative space. I have done all the cutting, except for the larger background pieces we will cut as needed. 72 half-square triangles are now together and squared, so I’m ready for our October instructions!
I am also cutting out a MQ from 2 years ago, and another from a year ago, both designed by Bonnie Hunter, the scrappy quilt gal who loves quilts of many, many, and oodles of pieces. Thought it would at least be nice to have these two cut out before Bonnie introduces her next one in November. So far, I’m on step 5 of the oldest pattern, and have cut over 2,000 pieces. Had to go shopping yesterday because I ran out of dark purples (can you believe that? me either!). I believe there are like 8 steps all together, so more cutting is in my future! Before I put the cutter away, I will work my way through getting all fabrics cut and ready for me to sew when I can. I had started it several months ago and got less than 200 pieces cut for Step 1 and there are many more before I move on to Step 2.
I will admit I do enjoy the MQs. The quilters also doing the mystery quilts are all great, supportive of each other and we all love showing the fabrics we pick, or ask for advice if unsure. I’m not the only one with one or two still to be made, but when I get them finished I know my online quilting friends will be happy for me and want me to post pictures. Some of the nicest and most helpful people in the world!
This two color quilt was a MQ I made several years ago. Lots of little squares making up 4 nine patches in each block. My favorite quilting motif, the dogwood flower, was used on this quilt.
Yes, another MQ.
Following: star block testing fabric placement; 2 simple block baby/toddler quilts waiting for quilting; and, a paper pieced pumpkin now anchoring the end of a table runner still to have the binding attached (I need to make a note of that!).